Mexican-Style Pork and Beans
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 575
- Sprinkle pork with salt and black pepper. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp and well browned; transfer to paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pot.
- Brown pork pieces in bacon drippings over medium-high heat, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Work in batches; transfer browned pieces to a plate as they brown. Transfer all pieces back to pot, along with accumulated juices. Stir in onion, serrano pepper, broth, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low or low to maintain a low simmer. Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Stir in beans and cactus; simmer, uncovered, until heated through, 20 minutes more. Stir in bacon. Serve over rice and garnish with avocado and cilantro.
- Cook's Note:
- You can substitute 2 1/2 pound pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat, for the 2 pounds of pork ribs.
- Use canned nopalitos that contain vinegar, serrano pepper, chopped onion, and salt (such as Dona Maria®).
Per Serving: 575 calories; 21.9 64.4 30.4 67 1245 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
During our snowstorm in Seattle I made this soul warming dish and it was a hit! Even drove up to Bellingham to deliver a pot to my daughter’s snow-bound apartment. She loved it! Just finished do...
This was DELICIOUS!!! I used Adobo also on the pork. We all loved it and it was even more tasty the next day!!! YUM!!!
I made the recipe as is and my family really enjoyed it. The next time I make it, I am going to try to convert it to an Instant Pot recipe to cut down on the cooking time.