Mexican-Style Pork and Beans
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 575
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Sprinkle pork with salt and black pepper. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp and well browned; transfer to paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pot.
- Brown pork pieces in bacon drippings over medium-high heat, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Work in batches; transfer browned pieces to a plate as they brown. Transfer all pieces back to pot, along with accumulated juices. Stir in onion, serrano pepper, broth, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low or low to maintain a low simmer. Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Stir in beans and cactus; simmer, uncovered, until heated through, 20 minutes more. Stir in bacon. Serve over rice and garnish with avocado and cilantro.
- Cook's Note:
- You can substitute 2 1/2 pound pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat, for the 2 pounds of pork ribs.
- Use canned nopalitos that contain vinegar, serrano pepper, chopped onion, and salt (such as Dona Maria®).
Per Serving: 575 calories; 21.9 64.4 30.4 67 1245 Full nutrition