Slow Cooked Beef Stew
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"I love to come home to the smell of home-cooked food but as I'm the only one that cooks in our house, this is a rarity. That's why I love my slow cooker and this hearty winter dish is a favorite for all the family. Thick gravy and tender slow-cooked beef ideally served with mashed potatoes, cabbage, and some nice crusty bread to mop up. Great to prepare all the vegetables the night before especially if slow cooking."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients8 h 30 m servings 471
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Put the kettle on so that you have boiled water ready. Combine carrots, mushrooms, and rutabaga in a slow cooker.
- Combine beef and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Turn beef in the oil until well coated using a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Mix together flour, parsley, thyme, beef bouillon cubes, and pepper in a second large bowl. Add beef, reserving oil for later use, and coat with the seasoned flour.
- Heat reserved oil to a large skillet or wok and heat over medium-low heat. Add beef, shaking off excess flour and reserving for later. Add yeast extract spread, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and more oil if meet sticks to the pan. Cook until beef is no longer pink in the center, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle reserved flour over vegetables in the slow cooker. Pour boiling water onto vegetables a little at a time and stir to mix in the flour. Add beef with cooking juices.
- Cook on Low until meat is tender and flavors are well combined, 8 to 10 hours.
- Cook's Notes:
- This recipe should have enough salt from the ingredients listed. However, if you prefer, you may add more towards the end of cooking to add more flavor. Also, you can use a mixture of herbs such as bouquet garni, but thyme and parsley bring out the best flavor in my opinion.
- Taste the stew throughout cooking to see if it has enough herbs, pepper, and stock cubes. If too thick, add more water.
Per Serving: 471 calories; 27.5 20.7 34.5 99 586 Full nutrition