Ingredients51 m servings 532
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onion until soft and translucent while penne is cooking, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce and tomato paste and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Add cream and Parmesan cheese and season with salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a baking dish.
- Stir some pasta cooking water into the sauce and add cooked penne. Remove from heat and stir in cherry tomatoes, 1/2 the mozzarella cheese, and basil. Pour penne mixture into the prepared baking dish and cover with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
Per Serving: 532 calories; 21.2 67.8 21.4 62 780 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 64
I'm going to be making this for a crowd, so in a test run yesterday, I prepared the dish without cooking the pasta- I just added the extra cup of water and let it all get happy overnight. Baked ...
Oh....YUM. Even as I was putting this in the oven I knew it would be our new favorite pasta bake. My only changes were to double the tomato paste and to add some (thawed) frozen spinach to up t...
WELL, THAT WAS A DISH. NOT A VERY PRETTY ONE, NOT PORCELAIN, BUT A DISH.
I was trying to locate a meatless dish to serve during lent on Fridays and came upon this. It was awesome! My husband and I couldn't get enough of it. The addition of the grape tomatoes reall...
This is a great meal that can easily be heated for a later dinner. I put everything together in the morning, then put it in the fridge, skipping over the baking portion of the recipe. After when...
Yummy, fast, easy, filling and pretty common ingredients. All pluses around here! I rarely have cherry tomatoes on hand so I used canned, diced tomatoes from my garden. I'm sure fresh would have...
This was delicious. Instead of penne pasta, I used mini tortellini and I added a few shrimp and some mushrooms. This will be a regular at our house, especially when the garden is gyiving a bu...