Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 24 m servings 130
Original recipe yields 48 servings (48 bars)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine cream, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, and 3 tablespoons white sugar in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugars dissolve, 2 to 3 minutes. Bring sauce to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cook until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in whiskey.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, 1/3 cup white sugar, 2 teaspoons orange zest, and salt in a food processor; pulse to briefly combine. Scatter 3/4 cup butter pieces over the flour mixture and process until dough starts clumping together.
- Press dough over the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Brush egg white over dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden, about 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine apples, apple juice, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, lemon juice, and apple pie spice in a large skillet. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and looks dry, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Stir in 1 tablespoon orange zest.
- Place 1 1/4 cups flour and 1/3 cup white sugar in a food processor; pulse briefly to combine. Scatter 1/2 cup butter pieces and walnuts over flour mixture. Process until topping mixture starts to clump together. Pour into a bowl. Squeeze topping mixture with your fingertips to form clumps the size of peas.
- Spread cooled filling evenly over dough. Drizzle 1/2 the caramel sauce on top. Sprinkle topping evenly over caramel.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are light golden, about 35 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle remaining caramel sauce on top. Let cool completely, about 15 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Cut into bars.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can make the caramel sauce ahead and refrigerate it for up to 2 days. Reheat in microwave on medium power until slightly warm. You can make the base ahead and let it stand at room temperature, 8 hours to overnight. You can make the filling, cover it tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate it, 8 hours to overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
- The whole pan can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 weeks. Cut into bars before serving.
- Substitute brandy for the whiskey if preferred. Substitute cinnamon for the apple pie spice if preferred. Replace orange zest with lemon zest if preferred. Add 1 tablespoon orange zest to the filling if desired.
Per Serving: 130 calories; 6.4 17.6 1.2 15 66 Full nutrition