Orecchiette with Fresh Tomatoes and Sausage
Ingredients2 h 1 m servings 400
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion starts to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add pancetta to the skillet. Cook and stir until crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove casings from the sausages; add sausage meat to skillet. Cook and stir until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in wine and scrape the bottom of the skillet.
- Toss mushrooms into the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, and salt. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick, 1 to 2 hours.
- Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in orecchiette and return to a boil. Cook pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 7 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water and drain without rinsing the pasta.
- Stir spinach into the sauce in the skillet. Cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Toss pasta into the skillet and stir to combine everything. Stir until heated through, adding some reserved pasta water if the sauce seems too thick.
- Cook's Notes:
- Fresh tomatoes are really key here, but the cherry tomatoes can be pricey. You can use Roma tomatoes, just make sure they are very ripe. Or, worst case, go with canned.
- If you can't find orecchiette pasta, you can use small shells instead.
Per Serving: 400 calories; 15.7 47 16.3 29 498 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
9-5-2018 ~What luck to come up with something so good and satisfying using everything I already had on hand – Italian sausage and pancetta in the freezer (um, always), red wine on the counter (...
Wonderful... The family really enjoyed it! I used sweet Italian sausage. Otherwise ...followed all directions and ingredients. Served it with garlic bread and a salad.
The flavor was awesome even though mine turned out way too salty! I contribute this to the fact that I used prosciutto instead of the pancetta and I think the chicken sausage was salty too, so ...
YES, this is the one! I have been making a few orecchiette recipes and thought this one might be ok, it turned out GREAT! Now you are waiting for the eighteen changes and adds I made to make i...
Used a pineapple bacon sausage just cut into discs - new family fave!