Ingredients2 h 22 m servings 1019
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
- Cream white sugar, 1 1/2 cups butter, and eggs together in a bowl. Beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add to the sugar mixture alternately with milk. Add vanilla extract. Beat until batter makes ribbons when falling from the whisk or beater. Divide batter among the prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool layers on a rack before icing, at least 1 hour.
- Combine brown sugar, 1 cup butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add evaporated milk and continue stirring. Bring to a gentle boil and let bubble for about 4 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid sticking. Remove from heat and allow to cool, about 5 minutes.
- Mix confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract into the butter-milk mixture using an electric mixer until icing caramelizes and thickens to the desired consistency.
- Spread icing onto the cooled cake layers. Stack layers; ice top and sides.
Per Serving: 1019 calories; 42.7 154.5 8.6 186 455 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 17
I made this for a friend's birthday celebration. I did split each layer (making it a 6 layer cake) and I made 1 1/2 recipe of the icing so I would have plenty. It was a HUGE success--everyone l...
I only made the icing and it was fabulous and so EASY! for a 3 layer cake you need to 1 1/2 the recipe. I did 1 cup butter to 1 cup brown sugar Or 1 1/2 cup butter to 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, And ...
I made this cake last week with a few adjustments and it turned out amazing. Instead of regular flour I used cake flour. And I used a tsp almond extract and a tsp vanilla extract just to give i...
The cake was difficult to make. I followed the recipe exactly and my first batch had the consistentlcy of corn bread after cooling. Made it again and cooked it less, and it was really dense. Nev...
My family loved this cake and they are very picky about what they eat definitely just added this to my year round cake list love it eating a piece as I type awesome didn't change anything
Made recipe exactly as listed, but icing kept growing and growing. I had 2 cups leftover after icing entire 3 layer cake....very strange. Recipe should also warn icing works better when slightly...