Meat-Lovers' Vegetarian Chili
"This is a thick, hearty vegetarian chili that is a hit at parties even among die-hard meat eaters. The TVP gives it the texture of ground beef, and the chiles give it a nice depth of flavor. Cook it in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. This recipe really benefits from using the best quality ingredients you can find. Also, I find this tastes best after sitting in the fridge overnight and reheating the next day. Serve with grated cheese on top."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients6 h 55 m servings 300
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add bell peppers, poblano peppers, onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook and stir until soft, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Combine hot vegetable broth and TVP in a bowl; stir and let sit until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add to the slow cooker.
- Place diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, tomato paste, beer, vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice, chili powder, cocoa powder, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cumin, oregano, liquid smoke, black pepper, and sugar into the slow cooker. Mix to combine.
- Cook chili on Low for 6 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Use your favorite beer!
- For low-moderate spice, start with 1/2 to 1 jalapeno, but 2 or 3 (or more!) may be needed if you like it hot. I'd recommend starting on the low side and checking the spice level after 3 to 4 hours of cooking, adding more jalapeno as needed.
- The longer this chili cooks, the better. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a large pot and simmer on the stove over low heat for 4 to 6 hours.
Per Serving: 300 calories; 9.1 32.7 25 0 1347 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1