Mealworm-Chocolate Chip Cookies
made it | 0 reviews |
"This recipe doesn't have much in the way of palpable insect content, but is an excellent way to introduce others (or yourself!) to entomophagy. Even many rather squeamish people will try mealworm cookies, since the cookie format doesn't look gross to most people, and since it is rather difficult to actually taste the mealworms, though they enrich the cookie with a somewhat nutty flavor and extra protein."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 108 cals
Original recipe yields 25 servings (25 cookies)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread mealworms on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until mealworms are dry, brittle, and easily crushed, about 2 hours.
- Transfer mealworms to a blender; grind until they are the consistency of wheat germ. Increase oven heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease another baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cream butter in a bowl using an electric mixer; mix in the ground mealworms, flour, brown sugar, white sugar, chocolate chips, oats, egg, vanilla extract, salt, and baking soda. Drop cookie batter by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Per Serving: 108 calories; 5.1 g fat; 15.4 g carbohydrates; 1.2 g protein; 17 mg cholesterol; 102 mg sodium. Full nutrition