Mutton Varuval (Malaysian Indian-Style Goat Curry)
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h servings 203 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Season goat meat with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, and black pepper.
- Place red onions in a blender; grind into a smooth paste.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cinnamon stick, star anise, and cardamom pods; cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add fennel and cloves; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon curry leaves; stir in the onion paste. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir curry mixture for 5 minutes; add ginger-garlic paste and continue cooking until flavors meld, about 10 minutes.
- Stir diced tomato into the curry mixture. Cook and stir until mushy, about 4 minutes. Add the seasoned goat meat; cook until browned, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer goat curry to a slow cooker; cook on High until meat is tender, 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir the remaining 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, garam masala, curry powder, and paprika until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add a few cups of the curry from the slow cooker; heat until oil rises to the top. Add remaining 1 tablespoon curry leaves and cilantro; cook until gravy thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour back into the slow cooker and blend well.
- Cook's Notes:
- Indian Malaysians have their own unique cuisine which combines the flavors of Malaysian cooking into more typically Indian dishes. This spicy, flavorful, tender goat dish is going to wow you with its complex balance of flavors. Although this is called goat curry, don't expect a typical "curry" flavor. In India, the term curry simply refers to any stew-like dish, with any combination of spices.
- This dish can also be simmered on the stovetop instead of in a slow cooker.
Per Serving: 203 calories; 7.6 g fat; 5.5 g carbohydrates; 26.6 g protein; 71 mg cholesterol; 948 mg sodium. Full nutrition