Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes (Vegan)
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 209
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 dozen cupcakes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin lightly or line cups with paper liners.
- Stir flour, sugar, cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Add water, applesauce, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and vinegar; mix until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool, at least 15 minutes.
- Place chocolate and margarine in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir frequently, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, until chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes. Stir 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper into the frosting.
- Spoon frosting over the cupcakes and swirl around to cover the tops.
- Cook's Notes:
- I'm pretty specific about the ingredients I use, but feel free to substitute.
- I know it sounds weird to add vinegar to cupcakes, but you won't taste it. It reacts with the baking soda to add some fluffiness.
- You will probably have a bit of frosting left over. While it's still in the double boiler, add some almond milk (to taste) and mix with a milk frother to make seriously awesome hot chocolate!
Per Serving: 209 calories; 6.3 38.7 2.6 0 159 Full nutrition