Ingredients2 h 20 m servings 196
- Soften yeast in warm water; let stand 10 minutes.
- Mix cottage cheese, sugar, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and baking soda together in a large mixing bowl. Add dill seed, dried onion, egg, and yeast mixture. Mix well. Gradually add flour, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. If dough seems too sticky, add another tablespoon or 2 of flour.
- Cover bowl with a clean cotton kitchen towel and place in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously butter a 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking dish.
- Gently stir dough to release bubbles. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven; brush top with butter and sprinkle on a pinch of salt. Let bread cool 5 minutes before transferring from the baking dish to a cooling rack.
- Cook's Note:
- Instead of stirring the dough with a spoon, I grease my hands and manually work the flour into the dough (Step 2).
Per Serving: 196 calories; 3.8 31.7 8.4 31 484 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
Used rapid-rise yeast which allowed me to skip the softening process. I mixed yeast with the flour and stirred into wet mixture as indicated by the recipe. It took about 1 1/2 hours to double i...
I didn't make any changes and it was delicious and very attractive. Thanks for the recipe!
Didn't rise quite as much as I expected but good flavor and texture. I'll make it again.
It’s amazing that my 92 year old mother has been making this exact bread since I was a little girl (about 50+ years)! I have made it several times in the past. I love it! Angie must be arou...
I followed the recipe as written, one of the easiest and tasty yeast breads I have made. My loaf was high and rounded, even prettier than the picture in the magazine.
I made the dough according to the recipe, but doubled it. It worked with straight doubling. The texture was perfect. (The first time I made it was a single batch in a casserole dish). For 2018 C...
Super easy and delightfully delicious. I substituted 1/2 t of Italian Seasoning in place of the dill seeds and it worked perfectly. Will definitely make again in the future.