Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 40 m servings 227
Original recipe yields 12 servings (3 cups)
- Place garlic pieces in a cold, dry skillet. Add vegetable oil. Cook garlic on low heat until it starts to soften but does not get brown, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. When garlic is tender, remove skillet from heat; let garlic cool in the oil.
- Place pumpkin seeds in a cold, dry skillet. Set heat to medium. Stir seeds until hot and fragrant but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat. Add onion and Serrano pepper. Cool until edges start to brown and some bits begin to char, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in apple juice. Reduce heat to medium and cook until liquid is reduced almost all the way and has a syrup-like consistency, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place pumpkin seeds, cilantro leaves, onion mixture, softened garlic and oil, lime juice, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Cover and pulse on and off until mixture becomes a coarse paste, scraping down sides with a spatula a few times, 1 or 2 minutes. If mixture is quite thick, add a few tablespoons of apple juice or water (apple juice will make it sweeter).
- Continue to process until mixture is to your desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl. Cover; refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Taste, and adjust seasonings and acidity as needed with additional salt and/or apple cider vinegar.
You might also like
- Chef's Note:
- You can also adjust texture and acidity with a splash of apple cider vinegar
Per Serving: 227 calories; 19.7 9.8 6 0 201 Full nutrition