Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients20 m servings 156 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings (12 4-inch cakes)
- Mix all-purpose flour, buckwheat flour, and baking powder together in a bowl. Cut in shortening with 2 knives or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat egg yolk lightly in a separate bowl. Mix in milk and molasses. Pour into the flour mixture; mix batter until no dry spots remain.
- Beat egg white in a separate bowl until stiff. Fold into the batter.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium heat. Pour batter into 4-inch cakes on the griddle. Cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can substitute wheat flour for the white.
- Cutting in the shortening can also be done in a food processor: pulse flour with cold shortening until it's the size of small peas.
Per Serving: 156 calories; 6.3 g fat; 20.9 g carbohydrates; 5.1 g protein; 34 mg cholesterol; 362 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1