Pomegranate Molasses-Glazed Turkey
made it | 0 reviews |
Shauna James Ahern
"If you're like most people, you've probably made the same turkey every Thanksgiving, year after year. Why not jazz up the flavor this time with a little pomegranate molasses? This Middle Eastern syrup is sweet but also deeply flavored with a little sourness. Think of it as a puckered-up version of balsamic vinegar. They're both irresistible. You can make your own pomegranate molasses (our recipe comes courtesy of AllRecipes reader, Flying Chef) or buy a bottle. Mix it with some sharp horseradish and mustard, as well as some chopped fresh sage for a familiar Thanksgiving flavor and you have a juicy, delicious turkey. Everyone will want seconds of this one."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 8 m servings 472
Original recipe yields 24 servings (1 12-pound turkey)
- Heat pomegranate juice, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring continuously, until sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, until reduced down to 1 1/2 cups, about 1 hour. Remove from heat. Let pomegranate molasses cool to room temperature, at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Whisk the pomegranate molasses, horseradish, mustard, and sage together in a bowl to make the glaze.
- Remove any giblets or gizzards from the turkey and place the turkey in a roasting pan. Brush with olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven, basting with the juices from the bottom of the pan every 15 minutes, for 2 hours. When an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, reads 175 degrees F (79 degrees C), brush turkey with 1 cup glaze. Continue roasting until no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes more.
- Remove turkey from the oven and brush with the remaining glaze. Cover with a loose tent of aluminum foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving up that turkey.
Per Serving: 472 calories; 20.2 26.2 45.4 132 165 Full nutrition