Summer Berry Stack
"I created this recipe after having a similar cake in the cafe of a local bookstore I worked at years ago. I never forgot how delicious the dessert was, with the tartness of berries and citrus that complemented perfectly with the sweetness of the cake, the cheesecake layer, and white chocolate, so I decided to recreate it myself. The dessert from the cafe was actually mass-produced and shipped in frozen, so this is a fresh, homemade version that tastes even better than the original, if I do say so myself (haha). This elegant cake mix cheesecake stacks tart summer berries and lemon curd against creamy lime whip."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 36 m servings 549
Original recipe yields 22 servings (1 9x13-inch cake)
- Whisk 3/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, and 1 tablespoon lemon zest together in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is light in color, about 3 minutes. Stir in 2/3 cup lemon juice and 3 tablespoons butter. Cook, whisking constantly, until lemon curd coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat two 9x13-inch baking pans with cooking spray and dust each with 1 teaspoon flour.
- Place 1 cup butter in a microwave-safe bowl; heat in the microwave until melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix together with graham cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup sugar. Press the crust into the bottom of 1 prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Beat cake mix, water, 3 eggs, vegetable oil, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in sour cream; fold in blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. Pour 1/2 the batter on top of the crust; pour the rest into the second prepared pan.
- Bake the batter-filled pan in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat cream cheese in a bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in condensed milk until smooth and fluffy. Add lime juice and zest; mix well. Fold in whipped topping.
- Scatter dollops of lemon curd over every few inches of the crusted cake. Spread half the cream cheese mixture over the lemon curd. Flip the second cake onto a cake rack; gently place on top of the cheese layer. Smooth the remaining cream cheese mixture on top.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in 15-second intervals, stirring after each melting, 1 to 3 minutes. Drizzle on top of the cake. Cover cake; refrigerate until chocolate and cheese layer are set, about 3 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- You can buy a jar of lemon curd, rather than making your own. I also recently started making a raspberry sauce as garnish for this cake, and it only makes it that much better.
Per Serving: 549 calories; 33.2 57.9 7.4 120 413 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1