Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 33 m servings 276
Original recipe yields 24 servings (24 cupcakes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners, preferable dark-colored or Halloween-themed ones.
- Combine cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed until batter is smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 21 minutes. Remove from oven and cool tins on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before decorating, about 1 hour.
- Frost each cupcake with a thin layer of white vanilla frosting and refrigerate for 30 minutes to make decorating easier.
- Remove cupcakes from fridge and apply a second layer of white frosting. Fill a piping bag outfitted with a small round tip with chocolate frosting and draw a skull face on the cupcakes: pipe large ovals for the eyes, two dots for the nostrils, and a large "stitched" smile for the mouth.
- Editor's Note:
- The directions for making cupcakes are based on the particular brand mentioned. Follow instructions on box if using a different brand.
Per Serving: 276 calories; 13.1 38.6 2.8 25 234 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I made them as mini cupcakes. Takes some practice/skill to get the faces to look right.