Vegan Tacos al Pastor
made it | 0 reviews |
"This vegan version of tacos al pastor is made with TVP (textured vegetable protein) that is cooked in a spicy lime sauce with guajillo chiles. They are served with homemade tomato salsa."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 17 m servings 579 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place guajillo peppers in a saucepan, cover with water, and boil until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Combine lime juice, 2 cloves garlic, cumin, and cloves in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Pour into a blender, add guajillo peppers, and blend until smooth. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the water if the sauce is too thick.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook onion slices until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in vegetable protein; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Pour in guajillo sauce and remaining water; season with salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low cook, covered, until flavors combine, about 10 minutes.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Combine tomatoes and chile de arbol peppers in a baking dish.
- Roast tomatoes and peppers until charred, 5 to 10 minutes. Cool tomatoes slightly. Peel.
- Combine peeled tomatoes, peppers, 1 slice onion, 1 clove garlic, and salt in a blender; blend until smooth. Pour salsa into a small bowl.
- Warm corn tortillas in a skillet. Divide vegetable protein mixture amongst tortillas and top with salsa, chopped onion, and cilantro.
Per Serving: 579 calories; 9.1 g fat; 72.4 g carbohydrates; 60.7 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 720 mg sodium. Full nutrition