Fish Tacos al Pastor
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"These fish tacos al pastor taste as good as the original pork version. I serve them with homemade charred tomatillo sauce and they are to die for."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 14 m servings 670
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Wash tomatillos under cold running water.
- Line a heavy cast iron grill pan or griddle with aluminum foil and place over high heat. Arrange tomatillos, chiles de arbol, and 2 cloves garlic in a single layer on top. Grill until chiles are blackened, turning as necessary, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Continue grilling tomatillos and garlic until they are evenly blackened, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Peel garlic and place in a mortar and pestle. Season with salt and pound into a thick paste. Add chiles; pound until smooth. Add as many tomatillos as you can fit in your mortar; pound until chunky. Transfer salsa to a bowl. Repeat with remaining tomatillos, mixing them into the bowl of salsa in batches.
- Place guajillo and pasilla chile peppers in a saucepan, cover with water, and cook until softened, about 25 minutes.
- Combine softened peppers, vinegar, orange juice, 1 clove garlic, cloves, cumin, salt, and pepper in a blender; blend until smooth. Add some water if sauce is too thick. Strain into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool, about 5 minutes.
- Season trout fillets with pepper and put in a lidded container or a large resealable plastic bag. Cover with cooled sauce and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Remove trout fillets from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Remove from sauce and cut into cubes. Reserve marinade.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and cook 1/2 the onion until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add trout and reserved sauce; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until trout is opaque and the sauce has been reduced, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in pineapple.
- Warm corn tortillas in a skillet. Divide trout mixture amongst tortillas and top with remaining 1/2 onion and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and charred tomatillo salsa.
Per Serving: 670 calories; 20.5 75.7 41.9 101 212 Full nutrition