0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h 8 m servings 385
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Combine vegetable broth, soy sauce, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, Himalayan salt, and dash of pepper in a large bowl.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Cut tempeh in half and add to the boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes to remove any bitter taste. Transfer tempeh to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut tempeh into 1/4-inch slices and place them in the vegetable broth marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours to overnight, stirring occasionally to be sure tempeh is covered with marinade.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer marinated tempeh slices to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven, turning halfway through, until golden brown and beginning to crisp at the edges, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Place pitas in the hot oven until warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Squeeze excess water from cucumbers using a paper towel. Place tofu, cucumbers, dill, 1 teaspoon garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Blend until tzatziki is well mixed. Adjust seasonings if desired.
- Assemble a gyro by placing 1/4 of tempeh slices, tomatoes, and red onions on top of a pita. Cover with tzatziki. Repeat with remaining tempeh, tomatoes, onion, and pita.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Use tamari instead of soy sauce and gluten-free pita in place of whole wheat pita for a gluten-free version.
- Whole wheat pita can also be substituted with sprouted wheat pita.
- For non-vegan version of tzatziki, use about 1 cup plain Greek yogurt in place of the tofu.
Per Serving: 385 calories; 10.6 53.9 25.1 0 1086 Full nutrition