Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 266
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 loaf)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a loaf pan with butter and dust with cornmeal.
- Whisk whole wheat flour, oat bran, whole wheat pastry flour, oats, wheat germ, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and brown sugar together in a large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk, eggs, olive oil, and molasses together in a separate bowl. Add most of the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture; mix with a spoon. Continue adding buttermilk mixture until batter is the consistency of oatmeal.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Brush any of the remaining buttermilk mixture over the loaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out mostly clean, about 1 hour. Invert onto a wire rack to cool.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you don't have buttermilk, mix 2 cups milk with 2 tablespoons white vinegar and let stand until curdled, about 5 minutes.
- This recipe is very forgiving; you can play with the amounts of the ingredients. I often forget some of the wet ingredients and add them to the batter later. I use a scale since I find it's much faster.
- Wrap loaf in a damp tea towel as it's cooling if you want the crust to be a little softer.
Per Serving: 266 calories; 7.9 42.2 11.7 50 821 Full nutrition