Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients33 m servings 251 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Spread Szechuan peppercorns over a baking sheet.
- Bake peppercorns under the preheated broiler until toasted, about 1 minute. Let cool; transfer to a mortar and pestle and crush into medium grinds.
- Heat a wok or saucepan over high heat. Add oil; cook ground pork until mostly browned and crumbly, about 1 minute. Move pork to 1 side of the pan with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium. Add chili bean paste; cook and stir until oil turns red, about 30 seconds. Stir pork into oil.
- Mix black bean sauce and dried chiles into the pork mixture; cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in chicken stock. Add tofu gently; shake pan back and forth until tofu is coated in sauce but not broken, about 2 minutes. Add soy sauce and sugar. Reduce heat to low; let simmer, about 5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons cold water. Increase heat to medium. Add to the tofu mixture, 1 teaspoon at a time, until sauce is almost as thick as ketchup and clings to the tofu, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in the green onions. Sprinkle toasted peppercorns on top.
- Cook's Note:
- Check the saltiness before adding the cornstarch mixture. If it needs more salt, add it. If it's too salty, try adding a bit more sugar and maybe even some chile.
Per Serving: 251 calories; 19.1 g fat; 8.3 g carbohydrates; 13.9 g protein; 37 mg cholesterol; 1107 mg sodium. Full nutrition