Broetchen (German Bread Rolls)
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 20 m servings 88
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 rolls)
- Mix flour, salt, and sage together in a large bowl. Form a well in the center.
- Mix 2 teaspoons warm water, honey, and yeast together in a small bowl. Pour mixture into the well without mixing. Cover bowl with a cloth; set in a warm area for 15 minutes.
- Pour the remaining water and 1 teaspoon olive oil into the flour-yeast mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until dough sticks together. Cover with a cloth and keep warm. Let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, using the remaining flour as needed. Return to the bowl; cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Grease a baking sheet with the remaining olive oil; lightly dust with flour.
- Punch down the dough; divide into 12 equal parts. Shape into ovals and cut a cross on top of each roll with a butter knife. Place rolls on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Brush the rolls with egg white.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Bake rolls in the preheated oven until golden, about 15 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can use all-purpose flour in place of whole wheat flour if desired.
Per Serving: 88 calories; 1.2 17.1 3.6 0 200 Full nutrition