Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 25 m servings 262 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (2 small loaves)
- Combine water, vinegar, apple butter, molasses, brown sugar, cocoa powder, coffee, salt, butter, wheat germ, fennel seed, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix until just combined. Add whole wheat flour; mix to combine. Add all-purpose flour, 1 cup at time, mixing on medium-high speed after each addition. Knead until fully incorporated and the dough forms a ball, about 4 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl with cooking spray. Place the dough in the bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cornmeal onto a large baking sheet. Divide the dough into 2 portions. Tuck the edges underneath each dough ball to form tight loaves. Place loaves on the baking sheet; let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Place a large pizza stone in the oven.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cornmeal onto a bread paddle. Transfer 1 loaf carefully onto the bread paddle. Gently jiggle the loaf while sliding it onto 1 side of the hot pizza stone. Dust the bread paddle with the remaining cornmeal and repeat to transfer the second loaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Continue baking until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes more. Slide the bread paddle underneath each loaf, 1 at a time. Transfer to a cutting board and gently tap the bottom; if it sounds hollow, the bread is done. Set loaves on their sides; let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- If the loaf deflates a little while transferring to the bread paddle, that's okay.
Per Serving: 262 calories; 2.9 g fat; 52.3 g carbohydrates; 7.1 g protein; 5 mg cholesterol; 310 mg sodium. Full nutrition
How much yeast is in a package of yeast?
Can I freeze dough and then bake it later?
I want my bread loaves to have a thicker crust. What can I do?
Ask Your Question