Italian Baked Eggplant with Parmesan (Parmigiana di Melanzane)
Ingredients3 h 5 m servings 592
- Place a single layer of eggplant slices in a colander sitting on a plate and sprinkle with coarse salt. Cover with a second layer and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining eggplant. Place a plate on top and add a weight to put pressure on the eggplant slices. Let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Rinse eggplant slices under running cold water to wash off all the salt. Pat dry on all sides with paper towels.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge eggplant slices in flour on both sides and add to the hot oil, working in batches. Deep fry eggplant until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; cook garlic and onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomato puree, 4 basil leaves, and salt. Cook, stirring often, until sauce starts to thicken, about 20 minutes. Remove sauce from heat. Discard garlic and stir in remaining 4 leaves basil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread a layer of tomato sauce over the bottom of a baking dish. Cover with a single layer of eggplant slices. Top with more sauce, mozzarella slices, and Parmesan cheese. Continue making layers, a total of 3 to 5, finishing with tomato sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until heated through and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
- Cook's Notes:
- Make sure eggplants are dried well, otherwise they won't get crisp while frying and will instead soak up the oil like a sponge.
- Eggplant Parmigiana tastes even better heated up the following day.
- Use tomato passata if you can find it. Substitute scamorza cheese for the mozzarella if preferred.
- Editor's Notes:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of salt. The actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 592 calories; 38.5 30.6 35.1 76 3313 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
DELICIOUS. Everyone loved it and the only change I made was to take the drained eggplant, brush it on both sides with olive oil, and bake it in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes instead of...
Instead of frying, I baked it in a 350 oven for about half an hour. I lightly brushed it with EVOO before baking. Delicious!