Rigatoni al Segreto (Rigatoni with Secret Sauce)
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 596 cals
- Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, salt. Cook until no longer white and starting to turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook about 1 minute. Add chili flakes and blended tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer; adjust heat to medium to medium-low. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 45 to 60 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook rigatoni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes (5 minutes from doneness).
- Transfer about 2/3 of the basil to the sauce. Stir in butter. When butter melts, add cheese in 3 increments.
- Drain pasta; transfer to sauce. Stir until rigatoni are evenly coated with sauce. Serve with a dusting of grated cheese.
- Chef's Note:
- This recipe probably makes enough sauce to coat 12 oz of pasta, but I like lots of sauce.
Per Serving: 596 calories; 33 g fat; 57.9 g carbohydrates; 17.7 g protein; 48 mg cholesterol; 1431 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 16
This is SO delicious! I decided not to rinse out the can with water as I didn't want to dilute the sauce. Otherwise I stayed true to the ingredients. I cooked the sauce in my instant pot to cut ...
Very tasty, like all of Chef John's recipes! Unfortunately, I did not have fresh basil. Would've been much better with it, I'm sure. Still, excellent sauce. Served with italian sausage , sal...
I don't often write reviews. I had to!! I was lucky enough to eat at Gino in its heyday. Often and the meal always started with this magnificent dish. Stick with the original recipe (not to...
Made no changes, only doubled the recipe to feed the whole family. This is an absolutely delicious, rich sauce. One of the best I've ever tasted. Rave reviews, although this will be something to...
My kids absolutely loved this.... my daughter had 3 bowls! Be sure to season to taste and garlic accordingly
Simply the best Italian sauce I have ever had. Made it true to the recipe.