Tacos de Jamaica (Vegan Hibiscus Tacos)
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 32 m servings 95 cals
Original recipe yields 18 servings (18 tortillas)
- Rinse hibiscus very well to make sure all dust is removed. Place clean hibiscus in a pot over medium heat, cover with water, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove hibiscus from heat and allow to steep for at least 2 hours, until hibiscus is very soft. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook 1 onion and 2 cloves garlic until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in drained hibiscus and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until hibiscus turns a deep red color.
- Combine tomatillos, avocado, 1/4 onion, serrano peppers, 1 clove garlic, and 2 tablespoons cilantro; blend until smooth. Season salsa verde with salt.
- Warm corn tortillas in a skillet. Divide hibiscus mixture amongst tortillas and top with pineapple, onion, and cilantro. Serve with salsa verde and lime.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use the liquid from soaking the hibiscus to make hibiscus agua fresca.
- Watch the recipe video in Spanish on my blog: Gaby Cervello
Per Serving: 95 calories; 3.2 g fat; 16.1 g carbohydrates; 2.1 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 32 mg sodium. Full nutrition