Gluten-Free Wacky Depression Era Chocolate Cake
David Stephen Ball-Romney
Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 357
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x12-inch baking pan with cooking spray and dust with rice flour.
- Combine rice flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a food processor; pulse until well mixed. Mix in olive oil. Pour in garbanzo beans with liquid; puree until smooth. Blend in water gradually. Mix in vinegar; batter will be thin. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges pull away from the pan, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool for 1 hour before serving, otherwise it will be crumbly.
- Cook's Notes:
- White vinegar can be replaced with apple cider vinegar.
- Using something like arrowroot might make this cake less crumbly, but I don't find that necessary if it sits overnight.
Per Serving: 357 calories; 13.2 59.7 3.3 0 473 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
My grandson is dairy free this seemed like a perfect cake for him. He loves chocolate so I added dark chocolate chip to the batter. Yes the batter is thin but baked up beautiful despite the fac...
Moist, not too sweet, very chocolatey, and no discernable garbanzo flavour. My co-worker brought this in this morning, and it disappeared in minutes.