Gluten-Free Wacky Depression Era Chocolate Cake
0 made it | 0 reviews |
David Stephen Ball-Romney
"Gluten-free and vegan chocolate cake. Ideally, let it sit a few hours before covering; cover well as it dries out more quickly than other traditional cakes. I don't know why, but it seems better a day or two after it's made, perhaps because it takes that long to set up."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 357
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9x12-inch cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x12-inch baking pan with cooking spray and dust with rice flour.
- Combine rice flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a food processor; pulse until well mixed. Mix in olive oil. Pour in garbanzo beans with liquid; puree until smooth. Blend in water gradually. Mix in vinegar; batter will be thin. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges pull away from the pan, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool for 1 hour before serving, otherwise it will be crumbly.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- White vinegar can be replaced with apple cider vinegar.
- Using something like arrowroot might make this cake less crumbly, but I don't find that necessary if it sits overnight.
Per Serving: 357 calories; 13.2 59.7 3.3 0 473 Full nutrition