Cherry Cheesecake Hearts
made it | 0 reviews |
"This is the result of my trying to create a cut-out cookie homage to the cherry cheesecake martini my friends and I enjoy at our local martini bar. Unsweetened Kool-Aid® gives these cookies their pretty pink color with just the right balance of sweet and tart. You could certainly substitute strawberry, tropical punch, or even pink lemonade Kool-Aid® if you prefer. Just be sure to use the unsweetened powder. Glaze with your favorite frosting or icing and decorate as desired. I glazed my cooled cookie hearts with Sugar Cookie Icing by JBS BOX and sprinkled with purple decorating sugar, as I was sending these hearts to wounded soldiers at a military hospital. Tint the icing the same color as your decorating sugar for an intensely vibrant, colorful cookie."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 53 m servings 146 cals
Original recipe yields 36 servings
- Beat butter and cream cheese in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Add sugar; beat until mixture is pale yellow and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla extract, soft drink mix, and almond extract; beat well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Add to cream cheese mixture; beat until well mixed. Add maraschino cherry juice, milk, or lemon juice to loosen dough; mix to incorporate. Divide in half; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough to 1/4-inch to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out using a heart-shaped cookie cutter; transfer cookies to the prepared sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, about 15 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Using maraschino cherry juice instead of milk to loosen the dough really adds to the color and flavor. You can substitute cherry extract for almond extract, if preferred.
- This dough is rather sticky; I found it worked best when I let it chill for a day or two. You might roll the dough out between 2 pieces of parchment paper for easier clean up.
Per Serving: 146 calories; 7.5 g fat; 17.9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 26 mg cholesterol; 88 mg sodium. Full nutrition