Snickerdoodle-Crusted Apple Pie
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 35 m servings 432
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 9-inch pie)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C); position rack in the bottom third of oven.
- Whisk 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and cream of tartar in a large bowl. Drizzle in butter. Stir crust mixture until just combined and crumbly.
- Transfer 1 1/4 cups of crust mixture into a separate bowl; add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Knead with your fingertips until well combined but still crumbly. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze crumb topping until ready to use.
- Pour vinegar and water into the remaining crust mixture. Mix to form a dough; transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Press dough onto the bottom and sides of a pie plate using a flat-bottomed measuring cup to make the bottom crust. Crimp edges with a lightly floured fork. Freeze until ready to use.
- Toss apples, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and sea salt together in a large bowl. Pile over the bottom crust and cover with the crumb topping.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (174 degrees C). Turn pie and continue baking, covering crust aluminum foil or a pie shield halfway through, until crust is golden brown, about 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before slicing, about 1 hour.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Pie dough and crumb topping can be made and frozen covered for up to 3 months; thaw in refrigerator before using.
Per Serving: 432 calories; 17.7 65.6 4.8 46 496 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1