Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 249 cals
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch baking pan.
- Whisk cocoa powder, flour, espresso powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Combine egg yolks, white sugar, and water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high speed until eggs are light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add butter and vanilla extract. Increase speed to medium; beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and add the cocoa mixture in 3 batches, mixing thoroughly after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Stir milk slowly into the batter until well combined. Pour chocolate batter into a separate bowl.
- Clean and dry out bowl and beaters. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar together on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 3/4 of the egg white mixture into the chocolate batter using a spatula; pour back into the egg white bowl, folding mixture in slowly until batter is smooth but still light and fluffy. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are set and center still jiggles slightly, about 50 minutes. Let cake cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 249 calories; 13.6 g fat; 29 g carbohydrates; 5.8 g protein; 104 mg cholesterol; 50 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This was very tasty but for some reason it formed a gummy crust, which we did not care for. We wound up scooping the pudding and cake part away from the 'crust'. Much better without it.
I felt like the salt amt was too much as the cake had a salty flavor in the background. Overall the cake was moist and it was more like a flan or mousse style cake. The texture was ok but not my...