Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 457 cals
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch baking pan.
- Whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Combine milk, pumpkin, and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Place egg yolks, white sugar, brown sugar, and water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add butter. Increase speed to medium; beat until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 batches, blending thoroughly after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Stir milk-pumpkin mixture slowly into the mixture until just combined; transfer to a separate bowl.
- Clean and dry out the bowl and beaters. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 3/4 of the egg white mixture into the pumpkin mixture using a spatula; pour into the remaining egg whites, folding mixture in slowly until batter is smooth but still light and fluffy. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are set and center still jiggles slightly, about 50 minutes. Let cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- Beat heavy cream, maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 pinch salt together in a bowl using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spread over cooled cake.
Per Serving: 457 calories; 25.9 g fat; 51.4 g carbohydrates; 6.8 g protein; 158 mg cholesterol; 362 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This “cake” is more the texture of a dry pudding. I thought as I was making it that there was just too much spice for an 8X8 cake but really there’s not- the spices are just right! I did use a 9...
I love pumpkin and have tried loads of different recipes over the years but this is the best one yet. I used buckwheat flour instead of all purpose flour and it still was the best pumpkin cake/p...
Great texture and taste was pretty good. Nice pumpkin flavor. Only gave it a 3 stars because I thought it was a lot of work. It got a lot of dishes dirty and I am super lazy. Mix the pumpkin w...