Ingredients9 h 25 m servings 563
- Place cannellini beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let soak 8 hours to overnight. Drain and add to a large pot. Cover with fresh water and cook on low heat until beans are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat while beans are cooking. Add bacon and sausage and cook until browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer meats to a bowl, reserving some of the grease in the skillet.
- Cook onions in the reserved grease until browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add to bowl with meats.
- Stir meat mixture, bay leaves, and allspice into the cooked beans and bring to a simmer. Add tomatoes, marjoram, garlic, salt, and pepper and continue to simmer, 10 to 15 minutes. Add water if there is not enough liquid in the pot.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat, add flour, and stir into a paste. Remove from heat and add to stew; stir in paprika powder. Simmer until stew has thickened, about 15 minutes.
Per Serving: 563 calories; 30.7 43.3 29.2 73 1213 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
I did make some changes including using 3 cans of beans instead of dried, turkey sausage, turkey bacon bits and minced onion. Did not use flour or butter. However, the stew was still thick and...
I, too, used canned cannellini beans. Used 4 cans. Stew was perfect thickness without roux. Next time I might decrease the allspice a tad and add smoky paprika. I also might cook bacon and saus...
I was in a hurry, so used canned beans and I had to use ground allspice instead of the berries. Nonetheless, it was super delicious!
I really liked it Not something I would normally make - very happy with this soup
Good recipe for winter months of soup making, it's a keeper. No changes made, thanks for a great recipe.