Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients37 m servings 354
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
- Insert lemon and lemon thyme into the cavity of the fish.
- Mix salt and egg whites together in a large bowl.
- Spread 1/2 the salt mixture on a large baking sheet. Lay fish on top. Pour remaining salt mixture on top. Pack down tightly so fish is sealed in salt.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake fish in the preheated oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted through the salt and into the fish reads 120 degrees F (49 degrees C), 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool fish for 2 minutes. Crack the salt coffin with a wooden spoon. Peel away the salt and discard. Transfer fish to a serving dish using 2 spatulas.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute thyme for the lemon thyme if desired.
- Use trout or salmon instead of striped bass if preferred.
- The general rule is to cook the fish 10 minutes for every inch of thickness the fish is at its thickest point.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of salt. Since the salt coffin is discarded, the actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 354 calories; 11.2 2.1 58.6 205 121298 Full nutrition