Ezekiel Bread (Wing and a Prayer Recipe)
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"This is also known as fasting bread, prayer bread, or Bible bread. It is nutritionally complete and tastes yummy. In my search for a recipe for this bread, I found 3. I made a special trip to a health food store to pick up the less common ingredients. When I got there, I found that I couldn't find all the ingredients for any of the recipes so I winged it and prayed that it would turn out well and it did. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 40 m servings 166
Original recipe yields 48 servings (4 loaves)
- Place garbanzo beans in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Stir 1/2 cup water and yeast together in a small bowl until yeast dissolves. Let stand until yeast forms a creamy foam, about 10 minutes.
- Combine lentils, millet, great northern beans, mung beans, and adzuki beans in a high-powdered food processor or blender. Blend on high speed until fine enough to pass through the mesh of a sifter or strainer.
- Pour lentil mixture into a large bowl. Mix in whole wheat flour, barley flour, and rye flour.
- Place cooled garbanzo beans in a large bowl. Add honey, olive oil, and salt; mash together. Stir in remaining 4 3/4 cups water. Stir in yeast mixture. Whisk in 2 cups flour mixture. Stir in remaining flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, kneading well until dough is smooth.
- Grease a large bowl and place dough inside. Cover with a very damp cloth. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Deflate dough and turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead gently and divide into 4 pieces. Form each piece into a loaf.
- Grease four 9x5-inch loaf pans. Place loaves inside. Cover with a very damp cloth and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake loaves in the preheated oven until golden brown and the bottom of a loaf sounds hollow when tapped, about 1 hour.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use a flour mill to grind the beans if you have one.
- Use 1/2 cup millet flour instead of millet if you can find it.
- Substitute red kidney beans for the adzuki beans if preferred. Substitute pinto beans for the mung beans if preferred.
Per Serving: 166 calories; 2.2 33.6 5 0 238 Full nutrition
How much yeast is in a package of yeast?
Can I freeze dough and then bake it later?
I want my bread loaves to have a thicker crust. What can I do?
Ask Your Question