Hoppin' John Black-Eyed Pea Casserole
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 370
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Combine rice mix, water, and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large casserole dish lightly with cooking spray.
- Cook and stir sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain, reserving some grease in the skillet, and place in a bowl.
- Cook and stir onion and green bell pepper in the skillet until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice, sausage, and hoppin' John until evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese on top. Continue baking until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Small portions can be frozen for quick and easy dinner later.
- Can be made spicer with hot sausage or adding more hot peppers.
Per Serving: 370 calories; 19.8 30.9 17.5 51 1339 Full nutrition