Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 10 m servings 236 cals
Original recipe yields 20 servings (2 loaves)
- Combine 1 1/2 cup water, cracked wheat, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mix 1/3 cup water, sugar, and yeast together in a large bowl. Let stand until yeast forms a creamy foam, about 5 minutes.
- Stir buttermilk, honey, molasses, 1/4 cup butter, wheat germ, flax seed, and bran into the cracked wheat until blended. Mix in whole wheat flour.
- Mix cracked wheat mixture into the yeast mixture using a spoon or electric mixer. Add all-purpose flour 1 cup at a time, mixing until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough to release air. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll out pieces into rectangles to release any air bubbles. Roll up, pinching seams tightly and tucking in sides as you go.
- Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans. Place rolls seam side-down in the pans; press down to flatten. Tuck in all sides gently with the top of a finger. Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough rises 1 inch above the rim of the pans, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake loaves until golden brown and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped, about 35 minutes. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter and turn out onto wire racks to cool. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Cook's Note:
- If you have time and want a fine-texture bread, allow to rise one more time.
Per Serving: 236 calories; 5.1 g fat; 43.2 g carbohydrates; 6.1 g protein; 10 mg cholesterol; 391 mg sodium. Full nutrition
How much yeast is in a package of yeast?
Can I freeze dough and then bake it later?
I want my bread loaves to have a thicker crust. What can I do?
Ask Your Question