Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 50 m servings 657
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place sauerkraut in a large pan or casserole dish and pour in 4 cups of boiling water. Add prunes, allspice, and bay leaves. Simmer until Sauerkraut is soft, about 50 minutes.
- Pour about 1 cup of boiling water over mushrooms and soak to rehydrate, about 30 minutes. Drain and chop mushrooms, reserving the liquid.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium to high heat. Add onion and sausage. Saute while stirring until onion is soft and sausage is browned, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan, bring about 4 cups of water to a boil. Add beef, pork, and bacon. Simmer until cooked through for 20 minutes, then drain.
- When sauerkraut is soft, add the drained meat mixture, sausage-onion mixture, and soaked mushrooms; mix well. Simmer uncovered over low heat, about 20 minutes.
- Pour in red wine and cook for 15 minutes until flavors are well blended. Season with caraway seeds, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Stir in tomato puree. If the stew is too dry, pour in some of the water reserved from soaking the mushrooms, and simmer so flavors combine, about 5 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Bigos can be eaten right away but for a richer flavor continue to slow cook covered over low heat, stirring occasionally. Bigos becomes tastier the longer you cook it! You can also prepare it the day before and reheat.
Per Serving: 657 calories; 34.8 54.2 32.9 90 2486 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1