Raw Fermented Beets
made it | 0 reviews |
"The health benefits of fermented foods are well established, and they're tasty to boot! If you're lucky enough to have a bumper crop of beets, try this easy recipe. Once beets are fermented, store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 d 30 m servings 53 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings (2 jars)
- Distribute beet chunks between two jars with lids. Add 2 cloves garlic, 3 peppercorns, and 1 bay leaf to each jar.
- Combine water and salt in a bowl to make the brine; stir until salt is completely dissolved. Pour enough brine into the jars to completely cover the beets.
- Screw on lids and let jars sit at room temperature until foam starts to appear on top, about 1 week. Transfer jars to a cool place (50 degrees F, 10 degrees C) for 2 to 3 days after foam appears. Store in the refrigerator.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can also put beets into 1 large jar. In that case only use 2 cloves of garlic, 3 peppercorns, and 1 bay leaf total.
- The number of days for fermenting will depend on ambient temperature.
Per Serving: 53 calories; 0.2 g fat; 11.9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 964 mg sodium. Full nutrition