Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 21 m servings 463
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef; cook and stir until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes. Remove meat from pan; drain fat.
- Place tomato sauce, sofrito, green olives, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, recao, and oregano in the skillet. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Return ground beef to skillet; reduce to a simmer. Cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray an 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour oil into a large skillet over medium-high heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Fry plantain slices until golden, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Beat eggs thoroughly in a bowl; add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Line the bottom of the baking pan with half the plantains, overlapping as needed. Layer ground beef mixture, green beans, and remaining plantains; pour eggs on top. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until eggs are set and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- If you cannot find the tropical herb called recao (also known as culantro), you can use cilantro instead.
- You can also use a 9x9-inch baking pan.
- Sofrito can be found in jars, as well as in the refrigerator or freezer section of your grocery store.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 463 calories; 15.2 70.2 18.3 149 678 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1