Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 3 m servings 507
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place chicken in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and cool until easily handled, about 5 minutes. Shred.
- Pour chicken broth into a saucepan over medium heat. Cover and keep warm.
- Place plantains and salt in a bowl of cold water. Let soak for 5 minutes. Drain and blot dry with a paper towel.
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels. Crumble into small pieces.
- Heat 1 inch oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Fry plantains in batches until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels.
- Smash plantains with the bottom of an empty chicken broth can. Fry again until crispy, 1 to 2 minutes more. Drain; blot with paper towels.
- Transfer plantains to a large bowl. Add bacon and garlic; mash together. Fill an empty chicken broth can halfway with mashed mixture. Press down until firmly packed. Invert can onto a plate; tap until mofongo slides onto the plate. Repeat with remaining mashed mixture.
- Cover mofongos with shredded chicken and warmed broth. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of salt. The actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 507 calories; 18.8 59.4 29.2 76 5019 Full nutrition