Almost Heaven Honey Butter Yeast Rolls
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"A familiar, famously fluffy and buttery-sweet Southern comfort, these yeast rolls are sure to satisfy day or night. The combination of white and brown sugars with the honey lends to the rich complexity of the sugar profile, and elevates the dish from just another buttery roll, to an inimitable southern comfort. Halve the dough and roll to make a soft and fluffy cinnamon roll base, or sprinkle sugar on top after baking and buttering for a doughnut breakfast alternative."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 17 m servings 182
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 rolls)
- Mix milk, brown sugar, and white sugar together in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until warm, 40 to 50 seconds. Stir in yeast.
- Whisk 6 tablespoons butter and eggs in a separate bowl. Whisk into the milk mixture until just combined, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition until dough is smooth and still wet.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Loosely cover and let rise in a warm, dry place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Drizzle with honey and salt. Fold in half and repeat the honey-salt drizzle. Repeat folding and drizzling, 5 to 6 times.
- Roll dough into a rectangle about 1/2-inch in thickness. Cut into 12 equal pieces using a pizza cutter. Place rolls on lightly greased 9x13-inch baking pans or on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover rolls with a light cloth and let rise again until doubled in volume, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake rolls in the preheated oven until tops begin to brown, 11 to 14 minutes. Brush the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter and some honey over the rolls right after removing from the oven.
- Cook's Notes:
- The trick to fluffiness is to fold the dough in on itself instead of punching the dough after the first rise.
- If preparing in a bread machine, place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start, then proceed to step 7 after the first rising.
- The rolls will be softest immediately after baking, so enjoy immediately, or keep warm for better softness.
- Dough may be refrigerated or frozen after the second rising, to be baked later.
Per Serving: 182 calories; 7.3 26.1 3.4 33 208 Full nutrition