Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients38 m servings 65
Original recipe yields 36 servings (36 cookies)
- Mix sugar, shortening, egg, and vanilla extract together in a bowl until well combined.
- Stir flour, baking soda, and salt together in a separate bowl; mix into sugar-shortening mixture until a dough forms.
- Form dough into a roll 2 inches in diameter; wrap in waxed paper and twist the ends to seal. Chill dough until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Unwrap dough; use a thin, sharp knife to make 1/8-inch slices. Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- For a date-nut pinwheel variation, divide dough into 2 parts. Roll each piece on waxed paper into an 11x7-inch rectangle. Spread dough with date-nut filling (below). Roll tightly and pinch edges to seal. Chill until firm, then slice into 1/4-inch slices and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- To make date-nut filling, combine 3/4 pound pitted and chopped dates, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup water in a saucepan. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir in 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts.
Per Serving: 65 calories; 3 8.6 0.8 5 37 Full nutrition