Khobz el Dar (Algerian Semolina Bread)
"If you've never tasted Algerian bread, then you should definitely give this very easy recipe a try. Known as Khobz el Dar, it requires no kneading, no special techniques, and only basic ingredients. The result is an incredibly soft bread, slightly sweet, that tastes like brioche. Absolutely delicious."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 20 m servings 331
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 loaf)
- Mix 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons semolina, 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, sugar, yeast, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk in oil, egg, and egg white. Stir in warm milk slowly until a liquid dough forms.
- Cover the bowl with a plate or plastic wrap; let stand at room temperature until frothy, about 1 hour.
- Stir in 2 3/4 cups flour with a wooden spoon until a sticky dough forms. Cover again and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour over the dough and your hands. Mix dough, adding flour as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Shape into a round loaf and place on the prepared baking sheet. Cover loosely with a towel and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place until loaf doubles in volume.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Beat egg yolk and water in a bowl with a fork; brush over the entire surface of the loaf. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sesame seeds on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until loaf is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- To decorate, you can make cuts in the top of the loaf with a sharp knife before the final rise and sprinkle sesame seeds on the egg wash in a decorative pattern.
- To speed up the final rising, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for about 10 minutes while preparing the dough. Once the bread is decorated and covered with a clean drying cloth, turn the oven off and place the bread inside to rise. It will take only 5 to 10 minutes for the bread to double in volume.
Per Serving: 331 calories; 10.9 47.9 9.7 49 250 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1