Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 255
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking dish. Line with parchment paper that extends up the sides. Turn the parchment paper over so the oiled side is up.
- Place ground lamb and beef in a mixing bowl. Add onions, garlic, rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and bread crumbs. Mix until well combined. Transfer to prepared baking dish and press the meat mixture firmly into the dish in an even layer that extends to the edges. Meat mixture should be packed and fairly dense.
- Bake in preheated oven until nicely browned, 40 to 45 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Cool to room temperature. Transfer to a plate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, 1 to 2 hours.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board. Cut into 3 pieces crosswise. Slice each piece into 1/8-inch thick slices as you need them.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook slices until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- Chef's Note:
- To make the pickled red onions, simply slice them about 1/8-inch thick, and cover with red wine vinegar for a few hours, or overnight. They will turn into the beautifully colored garnish for these gyros.
- I like to serve the fried slices on flat bread that's been spread with tzatziki. Top with some shredded lettuce and chopped cherry tomatoes. Layer on the meat slices and top with pickled red onions.
- Get the recipe for Tzatziki Sauce.
Per Serving: 255 calories; 17.8 3.4 19.3 72 549 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 21
Finally! A recipe that's as good as people review that it is. I would have submitted a picture, but as soon as I set the platter down, hubby and two teenage son devoured it. Served with cucumbe...
This version of gyro meat is very tasty. It was even better left over...but in our house there was very little left after the four kids inhaled it! Hubby made the pickled onions to go with as we...
My family love this. It was so easy to make. Looking forward to making it again!
This was easy to make and full of lots of flavor from the spices. I used a mixture of ground beef, pork and lamb since that's what I had on hand. I found both the texture and flavor to be remini...
Just finished yet another Chef John recipe and once again, the result is so delicious. Thank you for sharing another yummy dish.
I didn't bother with the parchment paper and it still did fine . everything turned out great and tasted as expected. A new family favorite for sure!
This was easy and it turned out great. I made this when my wife and I invited a couple of neighbors over for a simple dinner. Everyone loved it. The only thing I'll do differently next time is I...
This was an amazing and simple recipe. My family was impressed. I sent some to a friend and he claimed that it was better than his regular gyro place. I have yet to try a Chef John recipe ...