Gramma Durbin's Trifle Cake
made it | 0 reviews |
"My grandmother, born in 1916, loved all things Jell-O®! While going through her recipes, I adapted one of her favorites for my daughter's 33rd birthday party! I remember we loved this as children and it served a lot of people. Gramma's version featured only bananas for fruit. She also used Dream Whip® to top it. I added the extra fruit and used real whipped cream because let's face it; Dream Whip® just doesn't hold the appeal it did in the late 60's!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 48 m servings 348 cals
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cake mix, 1 cup water, eggs, and oil in a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until blended. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 23 to 28 minutes. Cool on a rack, about 15 minutes.
- Mix 2 cups boiling water and gelatin mix together in a bowl until dissolved. Stir in 2 cups cold water.
- Transfer cake to a flat work surface. Cut out and discard the hard edges; crumble the rest of the cake onto the bottom of the baking pan. Spoon gelatin over cake; cover with bananas. Refrigerate until set, 2 to 4 hours.
- Combine milk and pudding mix in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Pour over the bananas. Layer strawberries on top. Chill trifle until set, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Beat cream in a chilled glass or metal bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spread over the trifle. Place cherries on top. Add pecans.
- Cook's Notes:
- Make sure to lay the strawberries flat on the pudding or they will poke through the whip cream layer!
- Beat the whipping cream with sugar and vanilla extract if desired.
- Editor's Note:
- The directions for making cake is based on the particular brand mentioned. Follow instructions on box if using a different brand.
Per Serving: 348 calories; 16.4 g fat; 46.2 g carbohydrates; 5.7 g protein; 59 mg cholesterol; 331 mg sodium. Full nutrition