The Brutus Salad
Ingredients34 m servings 386
- Place Dijon mustard, vegetable oil, seasoned rice vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and cayenne into a bowl. Whisk thoroughly until well blended, about a minute. Transfer to an easy-to-pour container.
- Place pecans in a skillet over medium heat. Drizzle with vegetable oil. Cook and stir until pecans smell toasty and have darkened slightly, 1 or 2 minutes. Sprinkle with kosher salt and sugar. Cook and stir another minute; remove from heat. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Place romaine pieces into a large bowl. Add apple slices, dill, tarragon, and a handful of pecans, reserving some for garnish. Grate Cheddar lightly onto salad, reserving some for garnish. Drizzle in some dressing and toss. Taste and add more salt or dressing if desired. You make not need all of the dressing.
- Garnish with a few toasted pecans and some grated Cheddar cheese.
- Chef's Note:
- The dressing should be sharp and acidic, but please adjust to your taste.
Per Serving: 386 calories; 35.3 14.2 6.6 15 830 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
It's difficult to get excited about a salad, but this one was a winner when I made it for my sous chef mother-in-law and her highly discerning palate. Her daughter loved it too. :)
Delicious and filling, with unique flavors. I made this exactly as shown on the recipe. I will be making it often.
I love Dijon mustard.....but I was worried this might be too much Dijon even for me. But it was fantastic. I didn't use all the dressing at once, so I have tried it on different greens, spina...
I love this salad. Made it with blue cheese instead of cheddar and added some green onion and a few dried cranberries. Added a little sugar to the dressing but otherwise followed the recipe ex...
Delicious. I only used half the dressing so made a spinach Brutus the next day. It was good too. Be sure not to skip the herbs, they really add a lot. *Update*. Try this with Chef John's pork t...
I did not make any changes and it was the hit of a dinner party. The combination of ingredients were perfect. The men and women loved it. I will defiantly make it again. Debs
I've always loved cheddar cheese on apple slices, so this was a must try. It definitely didn't disappoint. So many wonderful flavors in this salad!