The Brutus Salad
Ingredients34 m servings 386 cals
- Place Dijon mustard, vegetable oil, seasoned rice vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and cayenne into a bowl. Whisk thoroughly until well blended, about a minute. Transfer to an easy-to-pour container.
- Place pecans in a skillet over medium heat. Drizzle with vegetable oil. Cook and stir until pecans smell toasty and have darkened slightly, 1 or 2 minutes. Sprinkle with kosher salt and sugar. Cook and stir another minute; remove from heat. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Place romaine pieces into a large bowl. Add apple slices, dill, tarragon, and a handful of pecans, reserving some for garnish. Grate Cheddar lightly onto salad, reserving some for garnish. Drizzle in some dressing and toss. Taste and add more salt or dressing if desired. You make not need all of the dressing.
- Garnish with a few toasted pecans and some grated Cheddar cheese.
- Chef's Note:
- The dressing should be sharp and acidic, but please adjust to your taste.
Per Serving: 386 calories; 35.3 g fat; 14.2 g carbohydrates; 6.6 g protein; 15 mg cholesterol; 830 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
It's difficult to get excited about a salad, but this one was a winner when I made it for my sous chef mother-in-law and her highly discerning palate. Her daughter loved it too. :)
Delicious and filling, with unique flavors. I made this exactly as shown on the recipe. I will be making it often.
I've always loved cheddar cheese on apple slices, so this was a must try. It definitely didn't disappoint. So many wonderful flavors in this salad!