Casatiello Napoletano (Easter Bread from Naples)
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"Casatiello is the most famous Easter bread in Italy. Typical of Naples, it is served on Easter morning with cheese and cured meat. It's a rich bread made with rustic ingredients as the tradition calls for, and is decorated with the classic trapped eggs."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients6 h 10 m servings 661
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Sift flour and salt onto a clean work surface; make a well in the center. Add yeast mixture and 1/4 cup lard to the well. Mix, adding remaining 1 cup water gradually, until dough comes together. Knead until dough is soft and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl. Cover with a clean, damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 90 minutes.
- Place dough back on the work surface. Punch gently to deflate; roll into a big rectangle. Brush 1/4 cup lard on top; cover with Parmesan cheese and pepper. Fold dough in half to make a smaller rectangle. Brush 1/4 cup lard on top; cover with pecorino Romano cheese and pepper.
- Fold dough again into a smaller rectangle. Brush remaining 1/4 cup lard on top; cover with salami chunks. Cut off a small portion of the dough; reserve.
- Roll dough into a long cylinder. Place cylinder a grease ring cake mold. Cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until more than doubled in volume, about 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Tuck whole eggs into the ring of dough at even intervals. Divide reserved dough into 12 pieces; roll into small ropes. Lay 2 ropes in a cross shape over each egg to hold them in place.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, about 1 hour. Let cool before slicing.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- This traditional bread calls for ciccioli, pressed cakes of fatty pork typical of old rustic Italian cuisine. They are made by compressing, drying, and aging fatty, leftover pieces of pork. If they are very hard to find, just replace with salami chunks.
Per Serving: 661 calories; 35.4 65.6 18.1 181 673 Full nutrition