Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 10 m servings 641 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place pastry dough on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out dough to a round disk about 1/8-inch thick and 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Brush outside 2 inches around the edges of circle lightly with water. Tightly curl up a bit of the edge of the dough to give it a rounder shape with a slightly thickened edge. If some edges are thicker than others, pinch off excess and add to thinner edges forming a circle with even edges. Roll each edge again just once to make the edges thick enough to crimp. Crimp crust with your floured fingers.
- Use a fork to "dock" the bottom surface, covering it with tiny holes to prevent the dough from bubbling up as it bakes.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes. Do not turn off the oven.
- Place cream cheese, creme fraiche, egg yolk, sugar, salt, vanilla, and lemon zest in mixing bowl. Mix together thoroughly. Carefully pour a thin layer of mixture evenly into pastry shell (you may not need all the cheese mixture).
- Transfer filled tart to oven. Bake until cheese layer is set and crust is browned, about 20 minutes. Let tart cool completely to room temperature before adding berries.
- Arrange berries cut side down, pointy end out starting with the larger berries around the edges. You can lean strawberries up a bit as your work your way toward the center. Cut some berry halves in half again to fit into any gaps on the cheese layer.
- Place apricot jam and 2 teaspoons water in saucepan. Heat over low heat until thin enough to brush. Let cool slightly before brushing generously over all berries and crust. Transfer tart to serving plate.
- Chef's Notes:
- To make Chef John's flaky tart crust, use 1/2 of his recipe for Buttercrust Pastry Dough.
- To crimp edges of tart shell, flour your hands. Hold your thumb and forefinger about 2 inches apart lightly against the outside edge; push the dough from the inside against the 2 fingers to create crimping.
- You can substitute 8 ounces fromage blanc for the (8 ounce) package cream cheese.
Per Serving: 641 calories; 37.3 g fat; 67.6 g carbohydrates; 8.7 g protein; 123 mg cholesterol; 595 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1