Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 408 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 cake)
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Beat yolks in bowl until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup white sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in lemon juice, vegetable oil, and water.
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl; add to yolk mixture and stir to incorporate into batter.
- Beat egg whites using an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup white sugar, 1 tablespoon at at time, beating on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched, 35 to 40 minutes. Immediately invert pan onto a plate; let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Beat heavy cream in a large mixing bowl until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract; beat whipped cream until stiff peaks form.
- Run a knife around the sides and center tube of the pan; remove cake and slice into 3 horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate, top with about 1/4 of the whipped cream and 1/2 of the sliced strawberries; repeat with middle layer. Place top layer on cake, spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Arrange halved strawberries on top of cake.
Per Serving: 408 calories; 21 g fat; 50.7 g carbohydrates; 6.3 g protein; 147 mg cholesterol; 148 mg sodium. Full nutrition