Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 408
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 cake)
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Beat yolks in bowl until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup white sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in lemon juice, vegetable oil, and water.
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl; add to yolk mixture and stir to incorporate into batter.
- Beat egg whites using an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup white sugar, 1 tablespoon at at time, beating on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched, 35 to 40 minutes. Immediately invert pan onto a plate; let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Beat heavy cream in a large mixing bowl until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract; beat whipped cream until stiff peaks form.
- Run a knife around the sides and center tube of the pan; remove cake and slice into 3 horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate, top with about 1/4 of the whipped cream and 1/2 of the sliced strawberries; repeat with middle layer. Place top layer on cake, spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Arrange halved strawberries on top of cake.
You might also like
Per Serving: 408 calories; 21 50.7 6.3 147 148 Full nutrition