Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h servings 278
Original recipe yields 10 servings (1 9x13-inch casserole)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread cabbage in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish; sprinkle rice on top.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease. Add onion, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and thyme; cook and stir until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Season with sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon beef mixture over rice and cabbage in the baking dish. Break up tomatoes in the can with your hand; pour over beef mixture. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until rice is tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Uncover and arrange American cheese slices over casserole. Let stand until cheese melts and absorbs juices, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese for the American cheese if desired.
Per Serving: 278 calories; 15.7 19 16.4 54 691 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
As mentioned before, very good base casserole to modify to your liking. Will increase the spices next time and maybe throw in some heat and use shredded cheese. Used diced canned tomatoes as wel...